Monday, February 2, 2015

Winter Camping with Kids

 

Winter Wonderland

10 Tips for a Magical Winter Adventure



"You are crazy.."  That is the usual response I get to winter camping.  I have tried for years to convince my friends and family that my passion for the winter season is justifiable.  Sleeping in snow forts, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, clean crisp air, big campfires, eating whatever you want, no bears, no bugs, no crowds, it is complete freedom!! Few in my circle of folks get how beautiful winter camping is but, the ones who do are just as fanatical as I am.  I loved planning expeditions and seeing new areas that were otherwise blocked but, now free to explore thanks to the miracle of freezing.  Still most of the time it was a solo trip due to my persuasion skills and enthusiastic testimonies always being trumped by the very phrase "winter camping". 

I decided my next strategy would be to marry someone who loved to camp all four seasons and mission accomplished!  Les and I enjoyed trips, building quinzees, tarp towns, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and nice warm fires with a reflecting tarp.  Then we were blessed with a set of identical twin boys.  I had pictured myself strapping my kids on and not missing a beat.  I pictured mountain peaks, rapids, snow caves, with smiling babes and victorious poses.  Did I mention these were my first babies?  I countered each argument from more experienced parents and skeptical friends with very public declarations of nothing will change I can still maintain my lifestyle goals.  Its too bad that they had reprioritize but, I shouldn't have to.

Cue nine months later a crazy, hormonal, huge pregnant women crying on the shores of a river in the arms of a very patient husband as my staff is leaving on a guided canoe trip without me. It was the first trip that I hadn't guided myself and the first time I had say goodbye to something I loved because I couldn't do it.  I mean I literally couldn't go canoeing.  I tried getting in one of my canoes pregnant, got stuck and had to turn the boat over and wiggle out.  Luckily it was on dry land and in front of a large crowd so my dignity remained in tact.  Very shortly after the canoe stuck incident my healthy happy baby boys were born!  Begin sleep depravation, breast feeding, breast pumping, thousands of diapers, and before I knew it was winter. 



The first realization was that my priorities had in fact completely changed but, not my passion for the outdoors.  I tried putting my skis back on only to discover that my abs would need some time to recover because I had damaged them in my pregnancy.  All of those pre thoughts of winter camping, skiing, snowshoeing, mountain peaks, were starting to look like something that would have twin 16 year old boys in the picture than my babies.  I am willing to admit I went through some difficult times adjusting.  I mean first there was all of the ways I said it wouldn't change me, it wouldn't stop me, and everything would be amazing.  I was upset but, for all of the wrong reasons.  I am not sure when I realized what I missing in not trying to plan 20km trips only to be disappointed because its completely unrealistic with my sons but, I am glad I did.  Camping with my kids is magic!  Their enthusiasm, imagination, excitement, accomplishments, and triumphs are now the best part of every adventure I am on!  I still love exploring, pushing my limits, going on expeditions but, the ones with my kids are now in my top trips. 



So a couple of weeks ago in a very unseasonal warm spell of plus three in January my pregnant 33 week self, Les, and my very enthusiastic four year old twins took three days and planned the ultimate camping trip in the wild winter backcountry of our backyard.  Other than the many trips to the potty I had to make with our third child on my bladder the first winter campout was a roaring success and now my sons are obsessed with all things winter camping.  When you are taking kids outside its all about making a spark and fanning the flames of their imagination as to what the great outdoors has to offer.  I let them set challenges and make accomplishments and nothing makes me happier. I will be taking those big trips again with my kids and this is how I am going to get there.  Because my dad was such an outdoor guy my appreciation started young and now I am passing the torch to my sons.    


Getting outside in the winter is all about frame of mind.  The fresh air is so healthy for our families and with a little pre planning you can help your family to discover a new challenge and adventure that everyone can enjoy!


Here are 10 tips to get started with creating this magical adventure for your family:



1)  Go Nowhere: Whether you are an experienced backcountry winter sleeper or a first timer the first time you go out with your kids consider going nowhere but your back yard or apartment patio.  This is all about family adventure, making it fun, and getting your kids involved in a new challenge.  It is way easier to be able to use your house for the first time.  If your kids aren't quite ready, or the weather changes, or you forgot something, take the pressure off and camp close to the house.  It gives you freedom to bail if its just not working and the comfort of less packing and stress.  For your kids its a family activity they could care less about where you are setting up the tent. 



2) Check Weather:  Plan as best as you can for a first night out in milder weather.  Its again less pressure on you and makes a missing toque in the middle of the night not as much of an impact.  We were sleeping at plus three and it was almost too hot for all of us crowded in our little tent.  It also makes planning activities more fun too.  If you have fresh snow make some snow ice cream or snow candy as part of the adventure.  Clear skies?  Take a look at all of those stars and look for different constellations. 


3) To Pitch or not to Pitch: There are many ways to camp outside in the winter!  First of all no bugs-making the need for screens or tents an option.  I suggest the easiest and use your tent.  Its what your kids are used to.  If you have a little more time look up building a quinzees!  Its basically a snow fort igloo for sleeping in or look at different tarp options with fire support. If you look up winter camping on line there is countless options for sleeping outside and staying warm. We used our tent because it was quick, easy and the kids like to set it up.  If using a tent, put a tarp or ground sheet underneath, consider removing the fly for air circulation and moisture release from your breath and bodies, if you have access to a four season tent it will already be ready for winter. 

4) Little Hands make Light Work: What fun is a winter camp without playing in the snow?  Get the kids involved in making camp.  We had them shovel out a spot for out tent with us and pack it all down with snow angels.  They built and packed down trails for our pee spots and to our house.  You can get them stacking wood and hauling warm gear.




5) Build a Nest: One of the strategies to staying warm when camping in any season is get off of the ground.  With our kids we call it building a nest.  We have all sorts of camping gear so we layered off of the ground thermarests, sleeping pads, foam mats from the camper, blankets and then put our sleeping bags, pillows and one big blanket for on top.  We were almost to warm.  If you are going to use an air mattress remember changing temperature will deflate your mat so you will want back up padding and loft.  Be creative!  You do not have spend a bunch of money or buy more equipment.  We have used bubble wrap insulation as a layer, lots of clothes that you want to keep warm for the next day.  You just need to get as much between the ground and you as you can to stay nice and warm.





6) Bring on the Feast: Winter camping and outside activity in the winter burns a lot of calories and you need to replace them to stay warm, happy, and healthy!  Plus there are a few luxuries in the winter that are awesome like ice cream!! One of my favourite treats in the winter are ice cream sandwich smores.  You roast your marshmallows, get your graham crackers, put your chocolate in your warm marshmallow, on top of ice cream and a graham cracker and smoosh it all together!  Heaven.  Or toast an apple pie on the fire with ice cream.  It may sounds wrong but a spoonful of butter in your hot chocolate is dreamy.  Lots of carbs and fats are essential to winter camping so indulge guilt free because you will burn it all and be toasty warm.  If you have some daylight homemade toffee poured in clean snow is so much fun with kids! Again close to the house is nice for all of this activity.  I will post again about advanced winter camping menus and tips.



7) Build a Sleepy Bird Snack Pack:  An essential tip for sleeping warm and again is fun for the kids is a night time snack kit.  One of my treats is sleeping with chocolate bars.  I never do this in summer for bear aware reasons so winter time is my fun.  The secret to warming up is carbs.  If you sleep with a chocolate bar the sugars will kick start your metabolism to create heat and the fats will sustain the burn to keep you warm and toasty in your bag.  For the kids I look for little bars because if they freeze they still fit in their mouths to thaw and chew, some small fruit snacks or chocolate chips, some crackers, and glow sticks.  We pack it all in a Ziploc cracked the glow stick and chucked them in the sleeping bags.  The kids had no problems finding the snack pack because of the glow stick and were warm and toasty. 

8) Do a Tribal Dance: Another technique for staying warm in your tent is get in your sleeping bag warm. Before getting in your tent dance around, go for a walk, move shake, and make it fun!

9) Snug as a Bug:  There are lots of way to sleep warm outside!  Get into your bags warm is the first step.  You can sleep with hot water bottles or water bottles filled with hot water.  Make sure the lids do not leak.  Wear light layers to bed with loose clothing.  Constrictive clothing or sleeping gear can get cold.  Wear clean dry warm socks, mitts and keep a toque on your head.  Keep your face outside your sleeping bag because moisture will collect on the inside of the bag.  If you are close to your house why not use an electric blanket?  Cuddle up and make sure that your sleepy time snacks are close.  Pack extra insulation on areas that get cold like little butts.  Make sure everyone uses the washroom!  You do not want to get finally all bundled up in your bag and getting warm and then hear little ones calls for bathroom.



10) Waking up to the call of Nature: Last but not least the bathroom.  We have all been there winter or summer.  You are all bundled up, nice and warm, and then you need to go!  You try and ignore it but, its there until finally you concede and get out.  In the winter give in!  The more energy your body uses to keep your pee warm the colder you are going to get. So get out and go.  Little ones however, I highly recommend the pee bottle.  Sounds gross yes but, often they wake up especially camping and have to go now.  Its dark, in the tent with lots of layers so if you have a bottle, with a non leaking lid, clearly marked it can be easier to help them go quickly without getting to cold or very unbundled.  Just remember to dispose of the waste and container the next morning. 

Winter camping in a luxury and a truly Canadian thing to do!  Introducing your kids to this little adventure is the first thing in establishing a lifelong interest in a healthy lifestyle in the great outdoors!!  So get out bundle up and eat some candy in a snow bank!










No comments:

Post a Comment